Friday, August 24, 2012

And Back

We're back from vacation! We had a great time on the southern Oregon coast. Here's a picture I took from the beach house where we stayed:





Don't get me started! I took about 500 pictures during the week and probably 400 of them were sunsets/sunrises/beach scenery. I put a few up on Flickr, but have tried to not go too crazy with the vacation slide tedium...


While we were gone we had many tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers and even cantaloupes ripen in our garden. The squirrels (which I HATE) tore down and ate all of the sunflowers. The tomatillos are moving along, slowly but surely. We have several pumpkins that look like they'll survive (we lost a few, too). Oh, and we got a double yolk egg the day we returned.

The potted corn is, to be frank, looking terrible. I think the key is that we didn't use really good soil this time. We will end up with a few ears, but they're not looking great. We may try using better dirt next year and only planting one or two plants per container. I think I'd rather dig up half the lawn and plant it in rows, but we'll give pots one more chance. It's feed corn/maize/indian corn/whatever you call it so it's not like we were counting on it for food anyway. It was just for the chickens.



No comments:

Post a Comment