Monday, August 29, 2011

More Editing Notes

I'm a third of the way through the first book, and I'm into my second really tough section. The issue here is that I hit the fast forward button and only provided a summary of what happened when I wrote the first draft:

"Over the next several months..."

Like a montage in a movie, but with even fewer details. It makes sense from one point of view: I had the section in there because it helps move the story forward. That said, what we're skipping over is the first few months of a friendship and a lot of research/exploration. That kind of stuff is a treasure chest of opportunity, so I'm working at fleshing it all out. It'll take a while, but I planned on this one being the biggest hurdle.

Also, since I've already written all three "books" (50 - 60k words each), I can go back now and "retcon" some facts/scenes to make things work better.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting to get a glimpse into your writing process. Not that there's any comparison, but I always find myself laboring over each blog post I write, trying to make sure it's communicating clearly. I'm glad you're taking care to develop your characters. Seems like modern writing, for movies anyway, leaves them so superficial and relies on action to make up the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog posts are great! Each one is a like a chapter in a book (hmmm...), clear and concise.

    I'm really kicking myself for waiting so long to attack these edits. Hope I can finish all three books by November! Nanowrimo is fast approaching...

    ReplyDelete