Saturday, September 28, 2013
Our container corn experiment continues. We planted about 30 seeds and had 100% germination. We've noticed a pattern. The plants do fine up until about the time they begin to develop the tassels and then things just seem to slow down.
I did more straight fertilizing this year, where last year we had such good compost that we used compost tea. Our compost this year was terrible. The pots are all completely root bound by this point, even the much larger 10+ gallon pots. This has also happened every time we've done container corn, so it means having to throw away giant rootballs and then we have to get new dirt for next season. I'm certainly ready to give up on container corn.
Of course, the biggest question is the yield, or harvest. The first year we tried this we got some corn and were pleasantly surprised. Since then, however, the yield has been terrible, even when we get a lot of ears, there are hardly any kernels. We've not had too much in the way of insect pests, though we have lost quite a few ears to squirrels/rodents in the past.
This year we've had good luck with the weather (no wind storms knocking the pots over), pests (so far, no bugs or rodent damage spotted... fingers crossed), and potential (many more ears this year than before).
We changed things this year, increasing the number of pots but planting fewer plants in each.
But the final verdict will be in once we harvest the corn.. Should be in a week or two. Had a couple of ears that seemed to be broken off so we picked them and they definitely had more kernels than prior years, but still, we're miles away from a good 'ol full ear of corn. Drat!