Monday, October 28, 2013

A Windy Night

  Last night around 10PM we had a big windstorm hit and it knocked out the power to our area.

At first, I was a bit put out -- I was missing a television show I wanted to watch, and how would I check my email again before bed if the router was down?

But, once we found the flashlights, my wife and I stopped to listen to the wind. Instantly I felt relaxed. We had just put flannel sheets on the bed so we climbed in and I know it sounds cliche', but I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Best night of sleep I'd had in months!

In other news, I spent about 10 hours this weekend crocheting some items for gifts around the holidays as we've decided to try to make as many gifts as we can. We can afford to buy presents, but the older I get the more I feel like that's the wrong approach. I know that personally, things mean more to me when they're something that's given from the heart and not just the Amazon wish list.

Also, I took a trip to New England and so I brought my camera, hoping for some nice leaf shots. But alas, the leaves were not cooperating. I ended up getting just a few so-so shots (but the trip itself was wonderful).

When I got home, I put my suitcase up on the bench by the front door while I fumbled for my key. And of course my suitcase fell off the bench and when I got in the house I realized my trusty and well-loved 50mm 1.8 lens had broken when the bag fell.

I looked through my photostream and realized that I used that lens for over 90% of the photos I've posted. Luckily it's relatively cheap, compared to most lenses.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that your photostream is fantastic. Gorgeous pix. It's funny you should mention getting such a good night's sleep when your power went out. I've been thinking about things like that lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! How's the book coming along?

      Delete