Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Well-Oiled Machine

One week after "curing" the broody Mrs. Mohawk, we have an efficient team of hens again. Mohawk started laying again yesterday. Woo! So now we're getting as many as 3 eggs per day. We were curious about when she'd start laying again, considering she was broody for a month (we'll handle the next one better). Of course, I attribute Mohawk's recovery to my inspirational talks:

ME: Hey Mohawk! Make with the roundies already!
MOHAWK: [scratches and pecks interesting specks on the ground]

The new and improved roost I built is working out well. They're no longer sleeping over the nest box, which is nice. Now the coop really is finished. Unless I think of anything else to do...

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! To answer your question about digital photography - I'd recommend the book "The BetterPhoto Guide to Digital Photography" by Jim Miotke. Since I don't "dress up" my pics using software after the shot is taken, I find that his advice for making sure you capture the best possible digital photograph that doesn't need software enhancement, plus an emphasis on using the right lens for the job, helps me get better shots. I use an old Canon EOS Rebel, and I went with Canon because of the lenses. When you pick a camera, I'd advise that you make sure that the full range of lenses you want are available for that model. That's not always true of all brands...I wanted to be able to use a macro lens for close-up insect and nature shots. Some brands don't make their own, fully compatible specialty lenses.

    ReplyDelete