Hopped out of bed (extra) early this AM to tackle the compost pile. Here's what it looked like before, with the compost bins tucked away on the left behind the picket fence:
There's a pile of old, wet hay there in the middle, and of course a pile of dirt (or mud, really) right where the compost pile is headed. We're moving it because of a couple reasons:
- The old location was inside the "chicken zone" and so you had to change your shoes to go put stuff in the compost.
- The compost pile had been there for several years and tree roots had started to find it.
So I had to move the old compost, the mud pile, and the old/wet hay pile before I could even get started. It took a bit longer than I had hoped, but we moved things around. Here's what things looked like when I stopped for the day:
We have two compost bins so we can work on finishing one batch while another gets going. We dumped the finished compost into the boxes to mix in with soil later. With the other batch, we alternated layers of compost and the wet hay. I stuck the compost thermometer in and hope to see some heat generated soon. Fingers crossed on that one. As for the look of the place... The gates will need a little tweaking. We have plans for the far left corner, too. We'll clear it out and build a nice dry place to store the hay bale and other miscellaneous stuff. We need to get a bunch of soil in the boxes and then we'll be ready to go: