Monday, January 23, 2017

Fairy Lights

I saw this project at Darbin Orvar and thought my kids would like them, so I set to work to try to finish in time for christmas.

First things first, I went and bought a hunk of 4"x4" mahogany. I didn't really care what kind of wood (I just knew I wanted hardwood) and so basically I just picked what looked good from the small inventory at the local Woodcraft store.

Then I went to my buddy's house and borrowed his drill press. I bought a forstner bit specifically for this project.

In the end, the only tricky part was figuring out a way to get the recess large enough for the battery pack and not make it all jagged/etc. I used the router table to clean up the edges, but the deepest bit I had was not deep enough, so I hogged out more material with a spade bit. Maybe I should invest in some chisels...



On to some finishing... And then assembly.


The kids liked them, but I think I should have made it a bit easier to turn them off/on. The hole I drilled in the bottom cover is a bit too small.

No comments:

Post a Comment