Thursday, May 31, 2012

Making Stuff

I feel like building/making/fixing something. I have that kind of energy buzzing through me. I have this sudden and driving urge to learn things, to do things with my hands.

Alas, writing isn't one of them. (That's not entirely true. I don't "program" for a living, but I do like to dabble in writing code and I could easily lose a whole day writing programs to do silly things, if I had any silly things that sounded fun to program.)

No, I'm thinking more about projects around the house or the yard. I'm thinking about creating stuff... "Useful" stuff.

This desire, I know where part of it comes from. I look at the negative stuff around, the stuff I can't control, the things that seem to be too large to fix or change. And then I want to create something. I want to have a modicum of control in all the chaos.

Of course, that's not the only driving force. I also feel like I've spent a lot of my life learning skills that only really exist to help in very limited circumstances. I can use all sorts of different software. I can survive in the corporate system. I can write user guides. I can build and manage geographically dispersed/disparate teams.

Try using those skills when the zombie apocalypse comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment