Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Finding Creative Inspiration

Ok, so this won't be a news flash to anyone reading this, but yesterday it struck me that I have my biggest and best creative inspirations when I'm working with someone else -- when I'm interacting with other people. I bet most people do. But why didn't I realize this before?

Odd.

In this case, I was working with someone else on a completely boring work project but in the moments between actual work there was witty banter, shenanigans, and maybe even some sarcastic diatribes. In these moments -- in these work time crevices -- we find glittering, unexpected inspiration.

Like the beachcomber who sets out to a favorite spot to look for agates, following the comfortable and well-worn paths to our favorite spots can lead us to an area nearly picked clean. But if we relax and maybe take a few random turns, we just might stumble upon a real gem.

Alas, in yesterday's case nothing of note ever really materialized, except for this pyrite-esque revelation.

And still I find myself unusually motivated today.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about favorite paths being picked clean. That's why when I get stuck in a rut, I change my location..Move from the couch to the kitchen table, or relocate to a coffee shop.

    ReplyDelete