Thursday, January 8, 2009

This is the year!

Okay. That's it. This is the year. For sure, this is the year.

This year, I'm going to admit to myself and the world that I want to take writing more seriously. This year, I'm going to put myself out there, make a real effort. Of course, I suppose I've told myself that before. Heck, I've even submitted a short story to a magazine and kept (framed) the rejection letter. Ah, but this year... This year is different!

No really! I have a plan! I have motivation!

Here's my plan. I had a great idea for a short novel last year, and I bashed out a quick 50k words in nanowrimo. Now, I'm taking that draft and really working on it. My plan, my hope, is to clean it up and then submit it... Somewhere.

I've already started -- I'm reading it slowly, out loud, and taking lots of notes. Once I've done the read through, I'll do a round of editing and then pass it along to another person to read through.

So that's, uh, my plan. So far. After that...

2 comments:

  1. That's great! It seems like hashing out the first 50K words would be the hard part, and you've already done that. Maybe it needs a ton of work, but that's fine -- at least you have something to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words! I'm almost 1/2 way through the first re-read, and I've found some stuff I really like (and some stuff that... well...).

    My test audience is still asking for more and that help motivate me even more.

    ReplyDelete